Monday, August 10, 2015

perk #16 - making the most crazy dreams come true

So it's been quite a while since my last post, but I felt like it was important to share an incredible opportunity that the Lord has given me. This opportunity would never have been possible if, as a nearly 29 year old woman, I was married with children. And I really wanted to encourage any other single folks out there to maybe think about doing the same thing I'm about to do if you are dying for an adventure and for life to just take an unexpected, but wonderful, turn. Have I got you curious yet?

Ok, so here it is. I have been at my same job for 4 and a half years, and have worked for the same company for nearly 6 years. I have been trying to applying for jobs in a new city because I felt like the time was right to move on. However, nothing was working out. I applied for lots of jobs that I am completely qualified for, but no call backs. It was very frustrating, confusing, and a little strange if I'm being honest. A couple of the jobs I would be perfect for, and I didn't even get an interview. Hmm. "What do I do Lord? I don't want to stay here, but what now?" I asked myself as another rejection email popped up in my inbox. I reached out to my cousin for some encouragement, and she asked me what I've always wanted to do, and to think outside the box. Long story short, that night as I tried to fall asleep, frustrated, sad, and at my wits end, it came to me. So obvious, and so clear...now is the time to spend that year overseas that you've always dreamed of doing.

Can I really do this? Should I do this? I'll be making practically nothing compared to having a secure, salaried job. But the idea took root. The next morning, I Googled positions teaching English overseas. The first company I found was legit. And after browsing through their job opportunities, I decided that instead of teaching English, I'd be an au pair. I love kids, the au pair positions included room and board, so I thought why not? I requested information about the au pair program in France, and within an hour I got an email from my first point of contact. The next day we spoke, she asked me a few questions to gauge my qualifications, and by that evening I had the initial application filled out and my first down payment made. Over the next few weeks, I had a lot of documents to compile, and the costs of getting everything together was a bit more than I expected, but in very unexpected ways, God has provided everything I needed every step of the way, and way way faster than I expected. I still have more to do, but I'm trying not to be overwhelmed and instead remember that God has made this process so clear and so easy so far, and He will see it through to the end.

I have created another blog that will document the rest of the process of getting to France. Within the last few days, I have received my family placement, which just happens to be in Paris and I could not be more thrilled that I will be spending the next year of my life in the City of Light. Follow my journey at www.chelseatheaupair.blogspot.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts.